Sunday, July 2, 2017

Donna Hay's Coconut Laksa with Coriander & Fish Balls for Souper (Soup, Salad, & Sammie) Sudays

Soup in general makes me happy but make it a bowl of some kind of curry noodles and I am even happier. With all of the different types of curry that exist, I never get bored which is why you see so many different curry noodle soup posts on this blog. Laksa is a curry I became acquainted with while traveling to Singapore and Malaysia for work. I have made a few different variations--including Donna Hay's Salmon Laksa and Nigel Slater's Summer Vegetable Laksa with homemade laksa paste. 


What appealed to me about Hay's Coconut Laksa with Coriander & Fish Balls is that it goes together quickly and easily with store-bought laksa paste (I just picked up my favorite laksa paste at the Asian market) and the coriander and fish balls. It seemed perfect for the humid week we have been having where the less time spent in the kitchen the better. 


Coconut Laksa with Coriander & Fish Balls 
Slightly Adapted from DonnaHay.com
(Serves 4)

1 1/2 lbs firm white fish fillets, trimmed & chopped (I used a combo of mahi mahi & cod)
1/2 cup fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, chopped
1 egg white
1 Tbsp laksa paste + 1/2 cup
2 cups low-sodium veggie stock
2 (15 oz) cans coconut milk
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice, or to taste
about 9 oz rice noodles, cooked & drained
shredded green onion, shiso leaves, Thai basil leaves, fresh coriander, & crispy shallots to garnish
 
In a food processor, pulse the fish , coriander leaves, egg white, and lasksa paste until just just combined. Roll heaping tablespoons of the mixture into balls and set aside.  


In a medium saucepan, add the remaining laksa paste and cook about 1 minute over medium heat, stirring. Add the vegetable stock and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Add the fish balls and cook about 4 minutes or until just cooked through. Remove from the heat, add lime juice and gently stir through. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. 

Divide the noodles into bowls and ladle the soup and fish balls over. Garnish with the suggested toppings as desired and serve. Enjoy!


Notes/Results: This soup goes together quickly and tastes great--the gently spicy (I buy the mild version) broth and the tender fish meatballs and herbs and all those slurp-able noodles. If you don't have a good Asian grocery store near you, check out Nigel's Slater's laksa recipe that I linked to above--it's not hard to make your own paste and it has great flavor. The fish balls take the most effort and they go together pretty quickly--I made mine as the water for the noodles was heating. I used regular rice noodles in this soup but it would be great with any kind of noodles, veggie noodles, or a scoop of jasmine or basmati rice. I stuck to Donna's easy recipe but you could add additional veggies or garnishes as you see fit. I will definitely make it again.


I'm linking up this easy and delicious Donna Hay recipe at I Heart Cooking Clubs where it's Potluck week. Our chance to make any recipe from the current IHCC Featured chef or any recipe from the past IHCC chefs. You can see what everyone made by checking out the picture links on the post. 


We have a few delicious dishes waiting this week in the Souper Sundays kitchen--let's have a look!


Judee of Gluten Free A-Z Blog shared this Okroshka--a cold Russian soup and said, "On hot humid days,  there is nothing like an icy cold bowl of soup. I know, it's hard to warm up to cold soup- but I assure you this authentic Russian recipe for Okroshka will win you over. Let's face it, who wants to cook when it's really hot and humid? This soup requires no cooking and is a nourishing thick soup that is high in protein, vitamins, and minerals. This delightful soup is fast and easy to make and naturally gluten free."

 
Tina of Squirrel Head Manor made Vegetable Soup and said, "This doesn't require a recipe so much as a suggestion. You toss in whatever you like or stray vegetables in your fridge that aren't enough for a side dish. This time I used onions, garlic, green beans, red potatoes, corn, carrots, tomatoes and a a couple of mushrooms.  I used an equal part water and vegetable broth to cover the vegetables while they cooked on a low simmer. Salt and pepper, garlic powder, oregano and basil were tossed in as well."
 
 
Here at Kahakai Kitchen I made this Herbed Goat Cheese and Veggie Baguette sandwich for a book tour review. A heap of sauteed lemon-pepper zucchini, Roma tomatoes and fresh basil on a baguette slathered with herby soft goat cheese. It was delicious, satisfying, and tasted of summer.

Mahalo to Judy and Tina for joining me this week! 

Souper Sundays is back with a new format of a picture link each week where anyone interested can post their soups, salads, or sandwiches any time during the week and I post a recap of the entries the following week.)

(If you aren't familiar with Souper Sundays, you can read about of the origins of it here.
 

If you would like to join in Souper (Soup, Salad, and Sammie) Sundays, I would love to have you! Here's how...

To join in this week's linkup with your soup, salad or sandwich:


  • Link up your soup (stew, chili, soupy curries, etc. are fine), salad, or sandwich dish, (preferably one from the current week or month--but we'll take older posts too) on the picture link below and leave a comment on this post so I am sure not to miss you.

On your entry post (on your blog):
  • Please mention Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammies) Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen and link back to this post.
  • You are welcome to add the Souper Sundays logo to your post and/or blog (optional).



Have a happy, healthy week and Happy July 4th weekend!
 

1 comment:

  1. Count me in - I brought a gyro. I have never had fish meatballs but anything with noodles rocks my world!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)