Saturday, October 24, 2015

Mango-Coconut Chia Puddings

October is a month that is made for the color orange, so this week's I Heart Cooking Clubs theme is Think Orange!--Ellie Krieger recipes featuring orange-hued ingredients. There are plenty of orange ingredients I thought about using--salmon, sweet potatoes, shrimp, and cheddar cheese to name a few--but then Ellie Krieger's Mango-Coconut Chia Pudding caught my eye. I make chia pudding sometimes, with coconut milk and blueberries, or pineapple, or occasionally a chocolate version, but for some reason never with mango. I like how Ellie both blended my favorite orange-ish colored fruit into the pudding and then topped it with the mango chunks. 


Ellie says this about chia seeds: "Chia seeds are certainly impressive nutritionally. They are the highest plant source of omega-3s and fiber and they are rich in protein and antioxidants. Almost all of the fiber in chia seeds is the soluble type, like that found in oatmeal, which is why they gel when mixed with liquid. Besides making them useful in recipes, that gel-able fiber is credited for chia’s ability to help control hunger, manage blood sugar levels and prevent heart disease. While further research still needs to be done to fully support these claims, there are plenty of healthy reasons to enjoy chia. With only 55 calories in each tablespoon plus 2g of protein and 6g of fiber, they are certainly worth a try." (See more about chia seeds here at EllieKrieger.com)

Mango-Coconut Chia Pudding
Ellie Krieger via elliekrieger.com
(Makes 4 (1 Cup) Servings)

3 cups mango chunks, thawed if frozen
1 cup light, unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
4 tablespoons chia seeds
2 tablespoons coconut flakes (I used unsweetened, toasted coconut chips)
 

Place 1 1/2 cups of the mango, the coconut milk, honey and the lime juice in a blender and blend until smooth. 

Divide the mixture evenly among four 8-ounce jars or glasses and stir 1 tablespoon of the chia seeds into each. After a few minutes stir again to insure the seeds are evenly dispersed. Cover, and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or up to 4 days. 

(Deb's Note: Rather than stir the chia seeds into each individual glass, I put all four tablespoons into the blender jar with the blended mango-coconut mixture and pulsed it a couple of times, then poured it into the serving glasses. I find it is faster and less messy on the edges of the glass.) 

Top each serving with the remaining mango chunks and sprinkle with coconut flakes.

-----
Nutritional Info: Per Serving: Calories 271; Total Fat 10g (Sat Fat 5g, Mono Fat 0.43g, Poly Fat 3.37g); Protein 4g; Carb 47g; Fiber 8g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 18mg
Excellent source of: Vitamin C Good source of: Vitamin A, Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Manganese, Phosphorus.
-----


Notes/Results: Love the touch of lime juice for the tartness and the tropical combination with the mango and coconut. The coconut chips on top (I used unsweetened, toasted coconut chips) adds a nice crunch to the pudding, as do the chia seeds. ;-) These creamy, fruity puddings make a great breakfast, healthy and filling snack, or a yummy dessert. I will happily make them again.


You can see what orange ingredients and dishes everyone made by checking out the picture links on the Think Orange post at the IHCC website. 


 

13 comments:

  1. I love your pick,Deb! I am so curious about chia seeds. I bought a pack awhile back when I bought the Skinnytaste cookbook and have yet to try them. Mangoes are by far one of my favorite fruits and I don't eat the enough. I'd love to try this pudding,especially with those yummy coconut chips on top (I love those things)! Very pretty:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is DIVINE Kim! I'd love your pick and I'm definitely gonna get some mangoes from the market soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I mean Deb! Sorry! I was reading Kim's comment above.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would happily make this for breakfast or dessert. Adding chia seeds to tropical fruits seems to work well. I have to keep this recipe in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deb,
    This is such a lovely healthy dessert! I've only used chia seeds for baking, what a delicious idea to use it in desserts. Mangoes are one of my favourites! I would not mind having this cold yummy dessert for breakfast too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was seriously thinking about chia puddings as I drove to work this morning. Do you think frozen mango would hold up ok in this?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Debra, frozen coconut will hold up well in the pudding itself, drained well, and I think it will also work OK in the topping if you defrost and drain it really well before using. Maybe even pat it dry lightly and add it and the coconut at the last minute before serving. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoops--I meant frozen mango not frozen coconut. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious, I love mango. The information about chia seeds was useful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mango and coconut- yum- I need to eat more chia seeds and this looks very inviting. I like your variation of putting everything in the blender at once.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Debra, it's been so long since I last ate chia seeds. Now there is a reason to eat it again. I simply love your chia pudding. With mango and coconut, I'm sure it's even better. Yums!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I have ever eaten Chia Seeds. Had a chia pet once!!! Not the same. This looks lovely with the mango and coconut.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)