Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Opa! Kahakai Kitchen is Hosting My Big Fat Greek Wedding for February's Food 'N Flix!

I am thrilled to be hosting Food 'N Flix for February! Even better, I picked one of my favorite feel-good romantic comedies with a foodie touch, My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Toula: : Nice Greek girls are supposed to do three things in life: marry Greek boys,
make Greek babies, and feed everyone... until the day we die.

You may have watched this fun movie multiple times like me, but if you haven't seen it, My Big Fat Greek Wedding is the story of Toula Portokalos, a frumpy, single 30-year old woman who mans the cash register and coffee pot in her family's Greek diner. Toula longs for more in her life but her father Gus just wants her to find a nice Greek husband and start having kids. Toula's mother Maria helps convince Gus to let Toula take computer classes at the local college and Toula's world begins to expand--she starts dressing up, wearing make-up and even exchanging her glasses for contacts. Her mother and her aunt Voula help get her out of the diner and Toula starts running her aunt's travel agency where she meets teacher Ian Miller and falls in love. The problem? Ian is not Greek, comes from a small, quiet, tightly-laced WASP family and (horrors!) is even a vegetarian! Can Toula and Ian deal with the clash of cultures and the interference from her huge, loud Greek family while planning that big fat Greek wedding? Grab a copy of this movie to find out and enjoy lots of food, family, romance and fun!


Make your favorite Greek dish or a recipe you have always wanted to try. Maybe a cake--flower pot in the center optional. Roast some meat perhaps? Wait... You don't eat no meat?! ...That's OK, make lamb!


How to participate in Food 'n Flix:
  1. Watch the chosen film (My Big Fat Greek Wedding). Taking inspiration from the film, head into the kitchen and cook or bake or make something.

  2. Post about it on your blog with a link back to THIS post and a link to Food 'n Flix. Use of the Food 'N Flix logo is optional.

  3. Your post must be current (during month of film). And of course we don't mind if your post is linked to other events...the more the merrier!

  4. Have fun with it!

  5. Email your entries to me at: debinhawaii@gmail.com and include:
  • Your name
  • Your blog's name and URL
  • The name of your dish and the permalink to the specific post you're submitting
  • Attach a photo of any size (or tell me which one to "pull" from your post)
  • Indicate "Food 'n Flix Submission" in the subject line
Deadline for submission is Monday February 27, and I'll be rounding up all the entries by February 29 (2012 is a leap year baby!)


Hope you join us!

Opa & Aloha!

9 comments:

  1. I think I must know every line to this movie...but I'll take any excuse to watch it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opa!! I love this movie too and will make it a point to participate this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect. I love Greek food and I love Greek weddings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already know what I'm going to make.. and lamb is involved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this sounds so fun! I saw the movie with my mom when it came out and would love to see it again, wonder if I can get hubby to watch it with me? I think it is hilarious and I would love an excuse to cook up some Greek food :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi Deb!! you probably have not seen my post today, but it does indicate why I have not sent my entry yet :)

    I WILL be posting on Monday, and will send my submission to you asap Monday - I hope this is okay? I am not usually one to cut it so close...

    happy weekend from "the rainy Pacific Northwest" :)

    ReplyDelete
  7.  Hey Kristina,
    No worries whatsoever. I am the queen of cutting it close. ;-) I won't do the round up until Tuesday or Wednesday anyway. Hope your cake works this weekend. Stay dry! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks Deb!!  and yes, it worked... ;) 

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)