Saturday, September 18, 2010

Can You Guess the Herb?

If you are a regular reader you are probably expecting the usual Simple Saturday Sipper post today. With running around and doing stuff with my mom who is visiting, plus some work thrown in, I just didn't get around to creating or finding a drink recipe this week. So instead, I thought I would show you my latest acquisition for my container herb garden and see if anyone can guess what it is. I was excited to stumble across this little plant, which is something I don't see everyday, and I can't wait to use it.


Do you know what herb it is? If you think you know, leave a comment. There is no prize for being right--only personal satisfaction at your own brilliance! ;-)


I still need to pot it, plus it is looking a little "gangly" right now and needs pruning--including the small pretty white flowers, which will need to be pinched back.


Need a hint? This herb is native to the mountains of South America. It can be used fresh but is often dried and crushed into a powder. If no one guesses the correct answer, I'll put it in the comment section tomorrow.

Simple Saturday Sippers will be back next week--maybe this mystery plant will be one of the ingredients...


Have a wonderful weekend!

14 comments:

  1. Hmmm I am at a loss! I can't wait to see what it is though. Have fun with your mom chica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks a little like a Mint plant, but the flowers are throwing me off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does it have to do with matcha powder? Hmmm...can't wait to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I am with Kim looking forward to the answer no idea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanne--Thanks! We have been having fun so far--she's here until Wednesday.

    Favorite Fixin's & Julie--nope, not mint, although the leaves have a little "mintish" look to them. ;-)

    Kat--It does look similar to Mexican clover but that's not it. This one's flowers are a little more wispy/thin than the clover's are. Excellent guess though! ;-)

    Kim--nope, no matcha. Good try. ;-)

    Rebecca--OK, tune in tomorrow for the answer! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely flowers
    looking forward for the answer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stumped me on this one too. It is gorgeous though. I can't wait to see what you do with it once we find out what it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure either! But it's got a good looking flower. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Torview, Lori, Pam and Kim--it is a stumper isn't it?!

    ****Guess That Herb Spoiler****

    It's a stevia plant!
    Stevia is that natural sweetener that you see in the health food stores if you are not familiar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia. Just eating a leaf is like eating a sugar cube in flavor. Anyway, I plan to play around with the fresh leaves in drinks and drying some for other uses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I have never seen a stevia plant! Those flowers are just so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post, Deb - I have never seen that before - I would have guessed something "minty".
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)