Saturday, May 22, 2010

Mango Tea Sorbet Float: A Cool & Sweet Simple Saturday Sipper


When I am at Ala Moana Mall and need a little pick-me-up from major shopping or getting my hair cut at the nearby Aveda Salon, I stop at The Pacific Place Tea Garden and grab one of their Tea Sorbet Floats. My favorite is the mango of course, which has mango black tea, a scoop of their low-sugar mango sorbet and chunks of ripe mango. The sorbet gently melts into the iced tea, sweetening it nicely and making a delicious afternoon treat.


Since I had some fresh local mangoes and a Maui mango black tea at home, I decided to make a simple sorbet and make my own
Mango Tea Sorbet Float--perfect for this week's Simple Saturday Sipper.


Mango Tea Sorbet Float
by Deb, Kahakai Kitchen inspired by The Pacific Place Tea Garden
(Serves 2)

Make iced tea according to instructions and chill thoroughly. Pit and peel 1 fresh mango and cut into large chunks. Place mango chunks into tall glasses (about 1/3 cup of mangoes for each glass), top with a scoop or two of mango sorbet (recipe below) and pour iced tea over and up to glass rim. Serve and enjoy.

Mango Sorbet


2 large, ripe mangoes (about 2 lbs worth)
2 Tbsp agave or honey, or to taste--depending on sweetness of mangoes
1/2 cup water
pinch of salt

Peel, pit and chop the mangoes into large chunks. Place them in a blender or food processor with the agave or honey, water and salt. Purée the mixture until completely smooth. Taste the mixture and adjust the sweetener as necessary. Chill mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions and firm up in freezer.


Notes/Results: Cool, sweet, refreshing and very simple to make. It does take a little advance planning to make the sorbet and brew the tea, but it is low effort, well worth it, and much cheaper than the almost $6.00 the tea place charges. I will make these again. And I had to serve them in my favorite fish glasses--just because. ;-)

The Pacific Place Tea Garden
Ala Moana Center - Upperlevel
Phone: (808) 944-2004
Honolulu, Hawaii 96814


Happy Saturday!

11 comments:

  1. I would have never thought to make a tea float but it really does sound like a great idea considering how much I love tea and ice cream/sorbets. Mango is the perfect fruit for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these would have been perfect today, our weather was humid and humid :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow - this really looks great! And of so cute - the tiny fish swimming on your glass. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This drink is perfect and I would love to be back in Hawaii sipping it! Lucky you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorbet and mango chunks in a glass? Count me in. Oh, and I really, really wish I lived in Hawaii :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you have fresh local mangoes! It is a dream of mine to one day have a mango tree. This sorbet tea sounds absolutely luscious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb, love the addition of honey and especially I love those 2 gold fishies on the glass :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This really looks so refreshing. I must say I never would have though of this, but what works works :-). I love the two separately, so why not together? I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea, putting fresh mango and mango sorbet in tea! That would be such a refreshing and delicious drink, especially nice when it's hot out. Plus, those fish are really cute. Are they ice cubes?
    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Pacific Place Tea Garden sounds like a fun place with some tasty goodies! I love the idea of a tea sorbet float, very unique and fun. A mango version sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks amazingly refreshing! I'll definitely have to try this! I don't have an ice-cream maker but I'll bet I can find some nice mango sorbet around here somewhere--we just moved to Seattle and it's lovely and gourmet around here.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)